3 DAY/3 NIGHT - COD HOLE & RIBBON REEFS DIVE ADVENTURE
Sleek and spacious, the 'Spirit of Freedom' offers the best in live-aboard dive cruising to the Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs. This tour begins every Monday from Cairns, and travels along the rarely visited Ribbon Reefs, finishing 240 km to the north at the world famous Cod Hole. Over two and half days you will have the opportunity for up to 11 dives and encounter clouds of colourful tropical fish, an incredible variety of vibrant healthy corals, giant clams, anemones, huge schools of cruising pelagic fish, and a family of giant potato cod. Your last night is spent on board the 'Spirit' in the bay at Lizard Island. Enjoy time ashore at Lizard Island the next morning, before boarding your return flight to Cairns. The one-hour, low-level scenic flight back will arrive in Cairns around 11:30am on Thursday.
Recommended Dive Experience Level: Open Water Diver to Experienced.
Adventure Level: Mild to mid level comfort factor on dive entries depending on weather conditions.
|Your 3 Day Trip|
|Departs Cairns||12:00 noon Monday|
|Returns Cairns||11:30am Thursday|
Your 3 Day trip Includes
- Transfers to/from your Cairns city hotel
- Low-level scenic flight – Lizard Island to Cairns
- Opportunity for up to 11 dives
- En-suite cabin with daily service
- Chef prepared gourmet meals – Australian style
- Australian wines & soft drinks with evening meals
Monday: The Spirit of Freedom courtesy bus will pick you up from your Cairns hotel around 11:00am to transfer you to Trinity Wharf, where you will board the vessel. You will be greeted by the Spirit of Freedom crew, who will give you an orientation of the vessel before a 12 noon departure. Enjoy lunch on board while we cruise to the outer Great Barrier Reef for an afternoon check-out dive and a twilight or night dive. After dinner we cruise north to the Ribbon Reefs.
Tuesday & Wednesday: These two days are spent diving at the most northern of the Ribbon Reefs, Number 9 & 10 Ribbon Reefs. Dive sites and sequence may vary depending on the weather conditions, but will always include at least one dive at the Cod Hole, where you encounter a family of massive and very friendly Potato Cod. Other sites may include Wonder-wall, Pixie Pinnacle, Challenger Bay, Two Towers, Lighthouse Bommie, and the Snake Pit, just to name a few. If the current is right, you may also take a drift dive at Dynamite Pass, well know as a channel for sharks to pass through. See the dive site page for site selection of some of our dive sites on the Ribbon Reefs. 4 to 5 dives will be available each day, including a night dive on the Tuesday. On Wednesday evening we overnight at Watson's Bay on Lizard Island and enjoy a sunset BBQ dinner on the top deck.
Thursday: This morning after breakfast you will disembark and say farewell to Spirit of Freedom. On shore at Lizard Island you can take the guided walk from Watson's Beach to Mary Watson's cottage over Chinaman's Ridge and back to the air-strip. Here you will board a twin-engine light aircraft for your low level flight over the reef and / or along the coast back to Cairns. The one hour flight arrives at Hinterland Aviation, Cairns General Aviation Airport around 11.15 to 11:30am, where the Spirit of Freedom courtesy coach will meet you for your transfer back to your Cairns city hotel.
- SNORKELERS. The reefs of the Ribbon Reefs are relatively close to the surface, and with little current, offer excellent snorkelling at most sites. Experienced snorkelers are most welcome to join this tour and a discount off the advertised diver rate will apply. Please note that while you be safe under the watchful eye of the 'look-out' crew, a snorkel buddy may not always be available.
- Due to light aircraft restrictions, your total weight of your luggage is limited to 20 kilograms/ 45 lb per person, including your dive gear and carry on luggage.